Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Day 7 - It's a Pleat Thing!

I am by no means a girly girl. I don't think I have a feminine bone in my body. My idea of being dressed up is wearing anything but sweats. So, ruffles are not my thing. I'm not saying I dislike ruffles, they are just not fitting on me. I am a pleat girl though.

I love me some pleats!

It's evident around the house too. So let's make some pleats!

First, you need to measure the length of where you want the pleats. I will use the bedskirt I made as an example. I measured the outside edges, both sides and the bottom of the box spring. Next I measured how long I wanted the pleats to be. For example, the top of the box spring to the floor.



I then determined where I wanted the pleats to fall. I knew that I wanted a pleat at each corner so I stuck a pin in the center of the corner. I then determined, using my measurements, how far apart each pleat would be. I stuck a pin at those increments to see how it would all work out.

I added 3" to the length of the skirt, 1/2" for a seam at the top and 2 - 1/2" for a hem. I added 6" to the width between pleats. For example if my pleats are 12" apart, I added 6" to that. I cut out the individual pleat sections that I needed. I also added up the amount of pleats I would have and cut sections 6" x length of skirt + 3" for each pleat.

Do I still have you or did I confuse you?



Here is a view of one 6" section with a between pleat section on either side. Now you are going to make one long strip in this manner : Between pleat section, 6" section, between pleat section, 6" section.... Keep repeating til all sections are used. Use a 1/2" seam allowance throughout.

Now with a pin, mark the center of each 6 " section. Fold with the pin on the fold. Mark 5" from the pin and 5" down from that point. This will be your sewing line for your pleat. Sew all your pleats. Taking each pleat individually, lay it flat with right side up on an ironing board and iron flat.

Cut a piece of material the size of your box spring plus 1/2" all the way around. I used an old sheet. I left the finished edge of the sheet at the head of the bed to not have to finish a raw edge. Pin your pleat strip to this piece and sew the top edge seam. Put on bed and pin your hem. Sew.

You are now done. I do like the look of a button at the middle of the pleat. I love doing this detail on my pleats. I simply covered a button for each pleat and sew in place.



My finished bed skirt. Shamelessly copied from this....



$20.00 for my version, $100.00 for theirs.

In fact, I like them so much they have also turned up here....



I call these "Peek a boo" pleats cause the underpleat is a different pattern than the outer fabric. This one I used a thin black piping at the hemline.




A closer view of the kitchen valance. You can see the piping, button and underpleat. The kitchen valances were a no cost do. Everything was leftover from previous projects!

Do you know how much I love pleats?

In case I totally confused you, here is a post I made about this on my other blog.


1 comment:

  1. Love love love your kitchen valances! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete