Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Day 6 - Stairs

So taking one thing in each room that I loved when we bought this house and in the foyer would be the stairs. Ok, there are two things in the foyer,the front door also. That has yet to be done.

I liked the staircase cause in out old bungalow the staircase was enclosed. This is partially open with an oak bannister. The spindles were painted by the previous owners. I have yet to get the "let's change out the spindles" wild hair so they are still there.



The carpet is ugly though. It would definitely have to go. No telling what is under there either. So after much whining and crying, it got ripped out. It was not pretty either. My talented husband replaced all the treads with stained oak treads. He had to cut each one individually since it seems the staircase is wider at the bottom than at the top. I was in charge of painting.



Now, the normal person would have been content with them and moved on. I am by no means normal. After alot of coffee and a box of GS Thin Mint cookies (i gained 15 lbs just by being co-leader this year) I got an idea. The next day....



They had a whole new look! I love them now and I get so many compliments too. But why stop there?!



Now the top of the stairs looks plain and boring. The landing is too narrow to put anything up there to get your interest. What is a girl to do?


THIS!! I saw this graphic on a website. I immediately fell in love with it. $500.00!! I can do that for less. I copied down everything, made a stencil, painted the wall chocolate brown and stenciled the wall. I make it sound so easy! It took me two weeks to do. The first attempt did not turn out so well so I had to start over. I love the whole thing now. I still have yet to paint here, but I just decided on a color for it.

I see a new project in the near future!

Posted @ Funky Junk Interiors

13 comments:

  1. WOW!! What a difference! They look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW what a transformation! I love it!!! I'm visiting from funky Junk's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cool! Love the numbered steps and graphics wall. Visiting from FJI, and glad I did! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool! I have always wanted to paint numbers or names on our stair treads leading to the basement. Now I have another idea on what to do with the wall leading to the basement as well. Kudos to you and your hubby!

    ~Misti

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this transformation, Maggie! The stairs have such a light bright feel to them and the numbers simply add your flair for character. I'd be smiling everytime I stomped upstairs if I were you. :)

    Thanks for joining the linky party!

    Funky Junk Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job! So fresh and cool! Know what?! I have a wacky tendency to count stairs when I climb them...lol! A little obsessive, I know...but you make the trip up a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your stairs, but I must say your wall at the top of the stairs looks fantastic! I can just imagine the time it took you, but it was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The stairs and wall art are amazing! Wow! Great job girl! :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks GREAT! I love what you did with the numbers and the wall art at the top of the stairs!! It's perfect, great work! Hope you can check out my blog soon, the first of the many interior shots of the house now that I'm having better luck with my camera. The first of the series is up now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness! What a big undertaking that big stencil project was. Impressive! The entire project turned out amazing! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The stencil job was well worth the work. It is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look fantastic - I love the numbers going up the stairs. And that stencil - you are a brave and talented woman! It looks beautiful.

    warmly,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete