I was going to start on the entryway at the back door. But I chickened out. I've been neglecting the bathroom for quite awhile now, so I thought that I should make an attempt to do something to it.
While I have been doing this house, I've been trying to remember one thing in each room that I loved when we were looking at the house to buy it. To be honest, all I can remember about this bathroom is that I liked my old bathroom better. Ok, one good thing is that it is 1' longer than the old one. So there ya go, one good thing.
Anybody else have these ugly old gray formica countertops?
I feel for ya if you do. I just drool over granite countertops. Have to take a nitro pill when I see the price though! So with a wild hair firmly growing up my buttocks, I set about to change it.
I peeled off the backsplashy thingy on the wall....
Then I sanded the "gloss" and dried up nail polish from the countertop. I also scrapped any leftover caulk too. The whole thing was primed with Kilz....
The faucet is new. I would love to act like I was Wonder Woman and replaced this also this weekend. But I didn't. Then I painted with 3 coats of SW Caviar. This was leftover from painting a bench, but I cheated on it. Sherwin Williams does quarts for sample colors for $5.00! They only sell it in flat finish though. It was perfect for this project though since I am putting a high gloss finish on it. Being the pro that I am, ok being the lazy person I am, I let it dry overnight.
I love it! Now to keep everyone out of the ONLY bathroom in the house for the next 3 days. The backsplash will be done after about a week when the urethane is totally cured.
I do have a few painting tips though for you!
* When working in a tight space, watch where your butt is going. You can ruin a good pair of pants that way!
* No paint liner? Tinfoil works great in a pinch. Such an easy cleanup for pennies too!
New shower curtain $20.00
This take 2 days with drying time in there. While it was drying, I did have time to "surf the blogs". I found this really cute tutorial on how to make pumpkins out of old sweaters. Since I didn't have any old sweaters, I kinda changed it up from a no-sew project to one with one seam.
So here is my version of the...
Shabby Chic Pumpkin
I used muslin for this. I cut off a piece, folded it in half and sewed a simple seam on the edge to make a tube.
Then I took some polished hemp and wrapped it seven times from my thumb to my elbow. I cut the strings in half and tied a knot. Then I slipped it through the tube....
I gathered the end with the knot up and wrapped a rubberband around the end.
Then I turned it inside out, put some beans in the bottom and filled it up with fiberfil. Once I was happy with how full it was, I wrapped another rubberband around the end to close. Then I pulled each of the strings up and tied them off at the top. To finish it, it tore some strips of ticking fabric, wrapped them around the end to form a stem and tied it in a bow.
And that is all folks! I would post a recipe, but Ronald would not give out the one for his special sauce. Good thing, cause that always sounded so wrong to me!
Would love to know what you think about the project here though!