Thursday, October 1, 2009

Day 2 - Where To Start?

So where to start?

Hmmm...

Well... see our house is weird. The back of it faces the sub so all the kids friends use the back door. Also part of our driveway makes a circle around a large walnut tree. The drive continues around to the back porch. We wanted for guests to park in the circle drive. I pull my car around the back cause I usually look like a sorry pack mule with everything I have to carry in. One of my pet peeves is that I asked everyone to park in the circle, which they do, EXCEPT for my MIL. She refuses to park in the circle and insists on parking behind me which drives me crazy. Doesn't take alot for that to happen.

Anyway...... my point is that the back door is where everyone usually walks in. So I am starting at the back door.

I know when you think of warm, black is not the first color that pops into your head. There are 4 doors in this small area.



This is the first area you see when walking in the back door. The view is from the kitchen. The door at the end of the hall is the bathroom door. To the left of that is a closet. The back door you can see a sliver of on the left of the sign sitting on the floor. Directly across from that is a door that is the stairs to the dungeon. I was leery of painting 4 doors in one small space black, but it is gorgeous. It also does not confine this space at all. Another benefit to black doors? Dirty fingerprints are hidden! I used Caviar by Sherwin Williams in a semi gloss finish.


It has magenta in the formula. My husband would have liked a color that you can see the red in it when the sun hits it. I always liked black, but I have to say using this color helped me overcome my fear that black makes a room small. I was also surprised that it took 4 coats to get a solid color. The doors are flat plain jane doors. I got a little something up my sleeve for a future project to dress them up though.

Cost: $0.00 Paint was leftover from a job

Now for the treat! And it is quite a treat. One of my favs and super simple to make. Today was an Indian Summer kind of day. So this is always one of my fav dishes for summer. Plus, I got to use my favorite pan, my stove top griddle. I love my griddle! I also love vinegar. This dish uses a vinagarette to give it a Greek taste. So without further ado....



Greek Grilled Chicken Salad

4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
Red Wine Vinagarette (bottled or homemade)
1lb Cherry or Heirloom tomatoes
Feta Cheese
Spinach (fresh)
Pita rounds

Marinate the chicken breasts in 1 cup of red wine vinagarette for atleast 1 hour in the refrigerator. The longer the better!

Remove the breasts from the marinade when ready to cook. Discard marinade. Grill the chicken on both sides until done throughout. When cooked, set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Always cool meat after cooking for atleast 5 minutes to seal in the juices.

While the chicken is cooking, cut the tomatoes in half. Once the chicken is cooked, cook the tomatoes til soft with light grill marks. Remove and set aside when done. Cut the pita rounds in half and lightly brown on the grill.

Add enough spinach to a bowl to cover a platter. Add vinagarette to spinach and toss to coat. Arrange the spinach on a platter. Cut the chicken in thick slices, about 3/4". Arrange the chicken on the spinach. Spread the tomatoes over the chicken. Crumble the feta cheese over the entire dish and serve. You can either arrange the pita bread on the outside edge of the platter or put on a separate plate.

Quick, easy and ohhh so yummy!





No comments:

Post a Comment