Monday, October 12, 2009

Day 11 - A Shuttering Experience!

I bet you are expecting a Halloween post huh?

Nope!

I was back in the bathroom this weekend. Besides being in the girls room also. See I got this....



So I got these....



8.00! I looked at these new online for about 150.00 for that itty bitty window. Pffft! I almost gave up the idea of having these in the bathroom. When I was growing up we had these in our main bath and I really liked them. But not in bright 1970 aqua like we had.

So I spray painted them....



Why spray paint? They looked like a real PITA to paint with a brush and I was just too lazy. After I sprayed them I brought them in to my hi-tech painting area and went to work. I lightly sanded them to distress them a bit and then wiped on watered down dark brown craft paint.



You can see each of the steps here going from right to left. Then I hinged them together so if by some miracle they ever are opened they will fold up accordion style. Then I hinged it to the inside of the window frame. I won't try to explain how I did this cause I gave new meaning to the saying "monkey screwing a bowling ball". Not real sure what I was doing but I got it done!

So... what do you think of the new treatment?


I'm not too sure about the shabby look of the shutters though. I am still trying to decide if I like it or should paint them the same at the trim.

Whatcha think?!

Posted at Metamorphosis Monday and I apologize that I am such a dork! I forgot to change the title from the faux countertops to this shutter one.

10 comments:

  1. Your shutters look great on your window. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way these shutters look, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love shutters and have some in two of my bathrooms too!

    spindle cottage is my house blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like 'em just the way they are...but I'll tell ya something girl, everytime I question how something turns out, I do better to just fix it. If you think YOU'd like them the same as the trim, just do it, or you'll find yourself wasting time staring and wondering at them all the time. You have time for that, right? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them! Great job girl! ;)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shutters look wonderful on the window, those small ones are hard to find, you can usually only find the large ones that stick to far out from the window, happy to see someone else likes the old ones...I'm a new follower of yours..come visit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your shutters look good -- like them better than the blinds . . . and yes, those shutters were often in baths when I was growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very Nice. I would love to have some of these in my dining room...however money is holding me back...5 windows!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think they look great. Wait awhile before you do any more to them. I have found it often takes a few days to fall in love with a new look. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look great! I agree with Stella, wait just a bit before you do anything. Great job!
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete