Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Day 1 - Picking A Style

If you could describe your style in one word what would it be?

Romantic?



Country?



Traditional?



Contemporary?



I realized lately that I had no style, unless they have added ugly hand me downs to the list. So I searched for style quizzes.

This quiz says my style is modernist. NOT!!

This one says my style is cottage chic. Okay, I can live with that.

The only thing I learned from this was that you can spend a week doing all the quizzes and still come away clueless. So now what?! The best place of all that I found to find my decorating style was my closet. Yup, you read that right. My closet.

My closet is by no means huge. Neither is my house. Everything has a place and it can all be easily accessed, unlike my house. So first of all is organize the house efficiently. Next is color. I found the expensive pieces of clothing are neutral colored. The less expensive items are colored and patterned. So, backgrounds neutral and accessories colored. The style of the higher dollar items is traditional, classic, timeless. The less expensive tend to be fads.

Now, if I haven't lost you yet, I applied this to my decorating style. The background of the house I chose to be neutral. The more expendable, smaller items would be color. That way if I fall madly in love with cobalt blue and yellow I can without having to change everything. More expensive and larger pieces are to be kept in the more traditional style. I can keep it updated with less expensive fad type accessories. Also, the house helped to dictate the style. It would be dumb to decorate a farmhouse in a contemporary style. Maybe someone more talented than me could pull it off.

Now where to start?....

While I ponder this question, I got a easy peasy recipe for meatloaf. Meatloaf always seems to be a nice fall entree.



Meatloaf

1 envelope of Onion soup mix
2lbs ground beef
3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
2 eggs
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup ketchup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine all ingredients. Spray an ovenproof baking dish with a baking spray to prevent sticking. Shape meat mixture into an oval loaf shape. Bake 1 hour uncovered. Check to see if additional baking time is needed.

Of course the traditional side dish is mashed potatoes and gravy. You can also try mashed sweet potatoes also. Yummy!



1 comment:

  1. Hey Maggie:
    I really like this bright blog design.
    The meat loaf looks good and tasty!!!
    Yes, neutrals are the best bet; then you can add or take away smaller pieces for bits of color or whimsy. You have good sense and it will work!!!
    I am glad you are back and feelin it!!
    Hugs
    carole

    ReplyDelete